Coming into peak season in Nozawa Onsen and there will be lots of visitors in the Village. One of the attractions of Nozawa is all the free Natural Hot Spring baths or Onsens which are available to enjoy. Here are a few tips to help you make the most of them.
Basically if you follow the locals you will be fine but
just incase here are some guidelines to help you
make the most of this unique experience.
• Bring; a Towel – small is best, soap and
shampoo, we supply this at the Lodges.
• Pick the right door Mens and Ladies are well
• Take shoes off before you step on the raised
wooden area after entering and put in the
bottom of the lockers, put all clothes in the top.
• Before getting into the pool totally wash your
body with soap.
• Rinse off using a combination of the hot water
from the spring and if need be the cold water
from the taps on the walls before entering.
You can use the buckets supplied.
• Can be bit hot at first so ease yourself in and relax.
• Use a small towel dry yourself before stepping
on the wood, also handy if you are a little modest.
• Take your shoes and put on as stepping from
the wood to the concrete area.
• No drinking or eating allowed in the Onsens,
try and keep splashing and noise to a minimum.
• Remember to smile and enjoy, you will have a
warm buzz for hours.
Check out this video made in Nozawa Onsen which runs you thru it
How to Onsen in Nozawa Video