Beautiful photo across the rice fields as you turn the corner and enter the village of Nozawa, it shows how Green Nozawa gets in the “Green Season”!
Bet you never thought those mountains that are covered in a white blanket over the Winter months could look like this! Thanks Seiji
On the other Green side, like most places in the world the environment is very important in Nozawa. The locals rely on clean water and fresh air to help grow all the amazing fresh produce that it does over the Summer months. Nozawa is famous throughout Japan for producing some of the best rice due to the fertile soil and abundance of fresh mountain water that washes thru the fields. Also makes for some amazing Sake! The tourism industry relies on the snow coming every season so want to do their bit to reduce factors contributing to global warming as much as we can.
The Recycling system in Nozawa is pretty intricate and much more than just 2 bins; there are at least 7 bins that rubbish needs to be sorted into! It is a bit more work for the user but saves a lot of time at the recycling plant and a better end result
For anyone coming to visit Nozawa here is a heads up on the classifications for where to sort your trash. Your hosting lodge should have it all laid out and with more self contained options will need to do yourself
Here are some of the great self contained apartments and houses in Nozawa Nozawa Onsen Apartments and Houses
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle being green in Nozawa
It is taken pretty seriously in Nozawa and this can mean a bit more sorting but can only be a good thing for all
The basic groups
Recyclable items to go in to a Red Bag the groups are as follows
All must be rinsed or clean
- Plastic any clean plastic includes wrappers etc usually have the Pura mark on them
- Pet Bottles have to take the label and lid off and put in plastics then the bottle in own bag. Can empty into Net at clean station
- Glass needs to be separated into colors – Brown, Clear and Other
- Cans can crush rinse
- Cardboard big pieces fold and tie
- Burnables pretty much anything that does not fit into the above so food scraps, tissues, dirty wrappers etc GREEN BAGS
- Exceptions other things like large items, skis, boots , dangerous goods etc need to be taken to the clean center
So hope that helps do the right thing and the snow gods will be happy and reward you with bottomless powder! Thank you for your cooperation.