Waking Up Nozawa Snow
The moment we’ve all been eagerly waiting for has arrived – waking up to a thick layering of white powdery snow in Nozawa Onsen village!
After the weekend’s big snow forecast not eventuating, many of us pondered when we’d finally catch up to the rest of Nagano and neighbouring Niigata prefectures – even Joetsu, right by the ocean, received it’s first snow dump!
But here we are, waking up to a winter wonderland. How good!
Temperature at the top; -5 degrees with a windchill down to -17 in the morning so make sure to bring those extra layers!
New snow since yesterday; 8cm total (wahoo!)
Base at the top; 45cm
Snow conditions; Fresh powder!
Weather; Cloudy conditions all day up top on Yamabiko (1615m) and Uenotaira (1400m), but the sun should peek through the clouds now and again.
LIFTS IN OPERATION:
- ~ Nagasaka Gondola Lift – 8:30-15:30 (down line 16:00)
- ~ Hikage Gondola Lift – 8:30-15:30 (down line 16:00))
- ~ Yamabiko No. 2 Quad Lift – 8:40-15:40
- ~ Yamabiko Quad – 8:45-15:30
- ~ Skyline Double – 8:40-15:50
- ~ Uenotaira Quad – 8:40-15:40
- ~ Yu Road – 8:00-16:40
- ~ Yamabiko Courses A, B, C and D, intermediate slopes
- ~ Uenotaira Slope, a beginner slope
- ~Kogenashi A and B course, intermediate slopes!
Tomorrow should bring sunny conditions with the low temperatures holding all day. The forecast is building again with just over 10cm forecast for Thursday afternoon and evening, with another 40cm forecast for Friday. We’ll keep you updated as the forecast is always so changeable.
A white Christmas is on its way!
Tag #nozawaonsenjapan to be featured on our stories during the day! Stay safe out there and have fun!